Obstetrics in Dearborn, MI
Pregnancy is at the same time one of the most wonderful and most difficult things a woman can experience. Thankfully, obstetricians provide special care to women before, during and immediately after pregnancy. This type of care is called obstetrics.
Are you pregnant or seeking to become pregnant? Request more information about obstetrics today: call (313) 228-3098 or contact West Village OBGYN online.
What is Obstetrics?
Like gynecologists, obstetricians offer support for the female reproductive system. The primary difference between obstetricians and gynecologists is that obstetrics concerns itself with how the female reproductive system handles pregnancy.
The services offered by an obstetrician or OB/GYN help women through all three trimesters of pregnancy. Some common obstetric procedures include:
- Pap smear (Pap test)
- STD testing
- Genetic screening
- Blood type testing
- Complete blood count (CBC)
- General diagnostic screening
A large part of what obstetricians do is imaging, such as ultrasound. These imaging procedures give pregnant women a way to view the baby before birth, as well as understanding the health of their pregnancy.
How does Obstetrics Work?
Obstetric care typically covers each stage of pregnancy. That includes the first trimester, second trimester, third trimester and often childbirth itself. Many obstetricians also provide some degree of care following childbirth.
Each stage of pregnancy typically includes these types of care:
- First trimester: Complete blood count (CBC), transferrable disease screening, pap smear, urinalysis tests, gestational age checks
- Second trimester: Ultrasound, gestational age checks, amniocentesis (for women over the age of 35)
- Third trimester: Hematocrit (blood testing, specifically for iron), glucose test for gestational diabetes, gestational age check
- Childbirth: Labor induction (if needed), labor assistance, pain relief, caesarean section (if needed), delivery, fetal surgery (if needed)
- Aftercare: Health monitoring for both mother and child, bladder tests, postpartum depression treatment, aftercare for newborn
Obstetricians are also trained to provide emergency care and care for high risk pregnancies. These problems can include damage to the reproductive system during pregnancy, fetal distress and premature childbirth.
Request Obstetric Information Today
Obstetrics is an important part of pregnancy and the birthing process. Obstetricians provide care for pregnant women throughout all stages of pregnancy. Request more information today: call (313) 228-3098 or contact West Village OBGYN online.
West Village OBGYN
Address22074 Michigan Ave
Dearborn, MI 48124
9:00 am - 5:00 pm
Tue: 9:00 am - 5:00 pm
Wed: 9:00 am - 5:00 pm
Thu: 9:00 am - 5:00 pm